Halloween is just days away, so we thought it was time to share with you some of our top tips for that time-honoured tradition… Pumpkin Carving!
- Firstly, you should carve you pumpkin as close to Halloween as possible to ensure it lasts. Once carved, keep your pumpkin somewhere cool (such as in the fridge or garage) when it’s not being used.
- Draw your design on first with a dry erase marker, or you could use a template – there are some fantastic ones here!
- Remember, your design doesn’t have to be spooky.
- Save the insides – as well as roasting the seeds you can make a whole host of delicious dishes with the scooped out flesh. The easiest way to scoop the insides out is with an ice cream scoop!
- To add a two-tone effect to your pumpkin, shave some of the outside flesh instead of cutting all the way through, so some light can pass through.
- Once your pumpkin design is carved, seal the edges with petroleum jelly and spray the pumpkin with bleach – bathroom cleaner is ideal – to prevent mould.
- Before you place a tea light inside, sprinkle the lid with cinnamon to fill your home with the scent of pumpkin pie J
- If you’ve got really young children, why not paint your pumpkin instead of carving, that way you’ll keep sharp objects away from tiny hands.